Sunday, May 17, 2015

Post-Vaykira Update

So we've made it past the third book, Vayikra and are now starting the fourth Bamidbar.  By books (and by weeks) we are well past the halfway point, about 60%.  So I'm giving a little update about what's ahead.

Most of Bamidbar is already planned out.  You can see what's in store on the schedule page.  Actually, most of it is already written, only Pinchas and Matot-Masei have yet to be composed.  There are very few weeks left where I don't have a topic planned out.  Also, I have ideas for a lot of the TBD weeks, but I'm just not sure how ambitious I actually want to be (as in, how many hours do I want to spend in the library.)  So the reason I'm telling you this, is that if you want a particular topic to be discussed, you'll have to let me know soon.  Otherwise, everything will be filled up.

Also, it's probably worthwhile to start thinking about what happens after the year is up.  I don't have any firm plans yet, but it's almost definite I won't be doing weekly posts at this level of depth.  It's not that I'm burned out, or out of ideas.  It's more that I'm very goal oriented, and my goal was to do a years worth of posts.  I'm not sure what happens next, although I have figured out what happens at the end of the year.  The last post on the schedule is "why the Torah is not divine." and it's unlikely to be finished in one week.  This will do a lot of summarization, pulling from a lot of the stuff I wrote throughout the year.  Hopefully, it will provide the answer to the fundamental question of this blog, one that I wrestled with for many years of my life.  I may even discuss some of those years, I have yet to decide.

So, on to the next book, it should be a good one! 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for your research and writing! Why not continue into Na"ch and the megillos? What about jewish history from a secular perspective? Mishnaic/ talmudic criticism? Since you're doing most of the work, may I suggest going from weekly to daily posts ('Daf Yomi!)?

    I look forward to watching this blog grow and evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A daily post is so far beyond reasonable that I'm going to assume it was a joke.

      As far as stuff about my personal journey, there will be a chunk of that on the summation post at the end of the year. So I guess you and your friend will just have to be patient!

      Delete
    2. Yes, the daily post was a (semi) joke. I've noticed how difficult it can be to formulate and write a logical, thought-provoking response to your blog, I appreciate how much goes into writing the posts.

      Delete
  2. A friend of mine that reads your blog religiously (pun intended) asked if you would do a blog post about yourself, your background, your enlightenment, and your current day-to-day life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work Kefirah. FYI - I have written a post about the metal snake, several on alleged Torah/Talmud 'prophecies', and several on Kuzari. Feel free to check em out, even cite some ideas from them if you think they are worthy. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw your post on Nechushtan. Fortunately, I have JStor access and was able to dig up the source article that wiki uses. That gave me some background.

      The prophecy post I wrote up is very different than the idea of "failed prophecy." It's more about "ecstatic prophecy" which is featured in that parsha. I may yet do a post on predictive prophesying, I've not decided yet.

      Delete
  4. Kocker, I liked your recent blog post, and noticed you don't allow comments?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @M Rose - Thank You. I no longer take comments at my blog as stated in the intro to my blog. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha Kocker. I loved your 'hand' and "lock and key' gematrias. It would have been fun to gather more English gematrias from your readers. Also, thanks for the education on the history of written language!

      Delete